Earl Grey Milk Tea Cake

4:33 PM



At some point I fell into the craze of Milk Tea. When I was working in the cafe back in Kuala Lumpur, one of my favorite drinks off their menu (obviously besides coffees) were this Earl Grey Milk Tea. I would admit I was kind-of obsessed with it.

I've been wanting to expand my cake flavors, pushing my limit: hence I came up with this - Earl Grey Milk Tea Cake.


The cake layers turns out with an aromatic Earl Grey fragrance, and to keep in the moisture I brushed the layers with Earl Grey syrup. I layered it with white chocolate mascarpone (its sooooo good, I couldn't stop myself from licking the spatula afterwards), something I thought would give the creamy balance to the strong tea flavor. To top it off I made honeycomb and crushed it to sprinkle over to finish.



For the Earl Grey Cake:1 cup milk 1 1/2 tablespoons loose Earl Grey Tea, 2 1/2 cups cake flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar 3/4 teaspoon finely ground Earl Grey Tea, 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 2 whole eggs 1 egg yolk
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (~175 degrees celcius).  Prepare three cake pans (I used 7inch). Butter (I used nonstick spray) the pan and line with baking paper. Set aside.
  2. Place the milk in a saucepan and gently bring to a slight boil and add in the 1 1/2 tablespoons tea.  Let simmer for about 10 minutes.  Remove from the heat and continue to steep for an additional 5-10 minutes then strain.  Set infused milk aside.
  3.  In another bowl, gently whisk the eggs and yolk together.  Set aside.
  4.  Sift together the dry ingridients into the bowl. Cream butter, and sugar and add in the dry ingridients followed by vanilla, and infused milk with the mixer on low until the dry ingredients are well combines
  5.  Turn the mixer to medium.  In two additions, add in the egg mixture, mixing for about 20 seconds before the next addition.  Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.  Do not over mix.
  6.  Evenly distribute batter between the three cake pans.  Bake for about 22-24 minutes, or until done and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack 10-15 minutes before removing cakes from their pans.
 Recipe adapted from The Cake Blog 

You Might Also Like

0 comments