Almost-Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls

8:07 AM



I've always been a fan of Cinnabons, since I was a little girl; a good weekend is when we go to the mall and grab some fresh hot rolls. My first Cinnabon was in Raleigh, North Carolina. You know what they say, when you have tasted the best version of something, its hard to settle for less (the ones in Malaysia is not as good as the one in the states, sadly).

I guess I should have been thankful for what options I had, seeing that now in Melbourne, theres no Cinnabons! I kid you not. Although I like baking, bread isnt exactly my forte. I dont feel confident with it. I always get this paranoia that my dough wont rise - baker's first world problems. But when I was working with LA/PA, I learned this trick with bread, so my paranoia isnt as bad as before.

One day the cravings comes, and its not as simple as driving to the mall. So eversince, I've been doing some research on recipes, shortlisted a few on which I think the techniques work for me. Then I came across this recipe from Jo Cooks. Then it was shortlisted in my to-do list.



My perfect moment came when my bestfriend was arriving in Melbourne. It was a busy week in school (as it was the week before mid-semester break) and I had a few cake orders that week - I only realised the day before that there's nothing to eat when she arrives. My breakfast supplies finished and I didnt have time to go to the store. But one thing that my kitchen is never in short of is, flour, butter, eggs and milk/cream - the essentials. So I decided to give the recipe a go.

Before I went to bed that night, I made the dough (its pretty much like a brioche dough) and left it to rise overnight. My paranoia kicked in, I woke up at 3 am worried the dough isnt rising -,-

Morning came and boy I was super happy that the dough was perfect! My kitchen utensil is still a work in progress, so I didnt use a rolling pin. I floured my work surface and flattened it into a large rectangle, spread the filling, rolled it out and cut it into a dozen rolls. Its slightly smaller than the cinnabon (because I cut it shorter to fill my baking tray) but it was perfect! With the topping, tasted almost like the Cinnabons, and definitely cost a lot less!


Almost-Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
Dough
1 (7g) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup soften butter
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
4 cups flour
  1. Dissolve the yeast into warm milk, let it sit till its foamy
  2. In a bowl, add sugar, butter, salt, eggs and flour and mix well
  3. Pour the milk/yeast mixture into the bowl and mix till incorporated ( I always prefer to use my hand, but you can also use a mixer with dough hook)
  4. Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise (about 1 hour or till the dough have doubled in size) - I usually make the dough before bed and let it rise in room temperature (under heater/ or in warmed oven in winter
Filling
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon (I used more, I love cinnamon!)
1/3 cup soften butter
  1. Mix the three ingredients well in a bowl
  2. Flour your work surface, and roll (or I pressed it out) dough into a rectangular shape about 16 x 12 inches
  3. Preheat oven 350F/175C, and line a 9 x 13 tray with parchment paper
  4. Spread the filling onto the surface of the rolled dough. Alternatively, you can spread butter first, followed by brown sugar and cinnamon.
  5. Slowly, from the long edge, roll the dough down. Cut it into a dozen pieces
  6. Place the rolls onto the prepared pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise for another 30 minutes/ double in size
  7. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown

Cream Cheese Frosting
6 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
While the rolls are baking, mix all the ingredients together till fluffy
Spread generously when the rolls are done









The recipe is definitely a winner. I think its the closest to the real Cinnabon, and it is so soooo good, especially served with hot coffee.


You Might Also Like

1 comments