Krówki: Polish Milk Caramel Toffee From Scratch

5:12 PM



When I found the Karpatka I also found a recipe for Krówki (which literally means little cows 🐄) : a milk-caramel toffee candies - its milky smooth, melt-in-your-mouth. I had it for the first time, about a year ago, I remembered we stumble upon it by accident - in a Polish bakery in St. Kilda. So when I saw this recipe, I thought, why not give it a try



As I was making it - I found it somewhat similar to making dulce de leche, and later on Ola confirmed its very similar, calling it 'Polish's Dulce de Leche'. Interesting fact: it's also similar to our white rabbit candy (come on I know you guys know what I'm talking abt), which is one of my favorites growing up (to those not from East Asia - its a famous milk toffee candy brand)



Pretty easy to make: just sugar, milk, butter, cream and vanilla; maybe I should make a new cake flavor!

Krówki: Polish Milk Caramel Toffee 
150 g butter (extra for greasing)
200 ml heavy cream
200 g sugar
1 tsp vanilla 
Method:
  1. Line a square 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper and grease with butter
  2. In a pot, heat heavy cream and butter till completely dissolve, stirring often
  3. Then add cream and vanilla, and simmer for about 30 mins (dont forget to stir!) - till a thick molases consistency (the volume would reduce down to 60%)
  4. Remove from heat and pour into a mixing bowl, and continue stiring till it cools down. This is to eliminate air bubbles, (you can see thinner layers at the side of the bowl is cooled and hardened)
  5. Pour cooled milk caramel into the lined baking pan, and let sit overnight (in a cool place). 
  6. Cut it into smaller pieces, and if you can wrap them individually (looks awesome when you do!)


Recipe from Andcute


Before it completely cooled down, I gave some testers and J thinks it taste a lot like werther's originals. Only after it's chilled, it tasted more like Krówka. When I gave Ola to try, she guessed it as Krówka! A success. Although she said something about using condense milk. I guess this means, experiment number two!

You Might Also Like

0 comments