Coconut Milkshake: Coconut and Passion fruit Cake

7:30 AM



I have been meaning to create a new flavor for my cake collection, and have been indecisive on what to pair coconut flavor with. I've done coconut and lemon curd, and that worked out amazing, but I was in search for something new. During my walks/ surfing for inspiration, I often see that coconut flavors are mostly paired up with cherry, but one day my sister suggested to go with passionfruit.




My second problem was (and it always have been a big deal when I am creating a new flavor mixture) what frosting would go best with it. Seeing how I lately am quite taken by white chocolate ganache - I went with that.


My signature cakes are tall and have tall decos - so I also went with white chocolate shards. I will omit that part from the recipe but here's a link of how-to-make-chocolate-shards

I have to say I was really happy with the cake. It taste like my favorite coconut milkshake. The flavor combination is amazing, and the cake itself is so creamy and moist. Definitely one of my favorites!

Coconut and Passion Fruit Cake 
Ingredients
Coconut Cake 
150ml coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract (optional)
200g caster sugar
170g softened butter
2 large eggs
200g plain flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder


  1. Heat oven to 180C/350F. Warm the coconut milk on stove till boils and set aside to cool. Add vanilla extract and coconut extract to cooled coconut milk
  2. Sift flour and baking powder
  3. In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar till pale and fluffy, add eggs one at a time. 
  4. In two addition, add in the dry ingredients and alternate it with the coconut milk mixture. Beat on medium speed till combined.
  5. Line baking pan with parchment paper (either two 8 inch/ 9 inch pan or three 7 inch pan) and grease side with butter/ nonstick spray. Bake for 20-25 mins or when the skewer inserted comes out clean. Let cake layer cool
Passionfruit Curd 
180 ml (3/4 cup) fresh passion fruit pulp (about 6-7 fruit)
155g caster sugar
4 egg yolks
125g chiled butter, chopped
 
Combine the butter, sugar, passionfruit and egg yolks in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 10-15 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Transfer to a sterilized jar and place in fridge for 1 hour to chill. 
White Chocolate Ganache 
250g white chocolate  
250g heavy cream
Place white chocolate in a bowl (if using chocolate bars break into small pieces). In a saucepan, bring to boil the heavy cream, then pour into the bowl with white chocolate. Mix till all white chocolate melted. Refrigerate to set. When set, take out and using an electric mixer, beat till fluffy. 
Assembling
For every layer, put a layer of ganache and two tablespoon passion fruit curd. Top layer drizzle for decoration. Chill before serving. Goes great with tea or better with milk!



You Might Also Like

0 comments